Sunday, February 1, 2009

My Favourite Mascara

Recently, against my better judgment, I 'cheated' on my favourite mascara, with most disappointing results. I shouldn't be surprised, really, I have cheated before and I always come crawling back, ashamed, unfulfilled, my lashes looking like crap. This time though, the other mascara was a real loser. I don't know what I was thinking. It was one of those mascaras (shudder) with a plastic brush. Plastic brushes suck and this trend has got to, and I suspect it will very, very soon. Bring back the brush, I say!

L'Oreal Voluminous Waterproof, I love you forever.

Why do I love this mascara so much? First of all, it makes my wimpy lashes full, and more importantly, long. Second, the formula doesn't flake. Whether I am touching up my own eye makeup or changing looks on a model, I find I can really work around the lashes without worrying about making a mess. Third, not only does the waterproof formula make it long-lasting and keep it from flaking, it also holds a better curl in your eyelashes. Fourth, it is easy to remove in comparison with other waterproof formulas I've tried, and also doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes. Lastly, you can't beat the drugstore price, I have tried so many higher end mascaras (often for free, the perks of being a makeup artist) and so far, nothing compares.

(Just a little side note. In general, I find all mascaras benefit from a little 'drying out' time, meaning, the formula gets easier to work with as the air thickens it a bit. This is definitely true of L'Oreal Voluminous Waterproof, so don't be afraid to pump the wand and get some air into that tube within the first week of use.)

2 comments:

Betta said...

Tell me more about the mascara. I've been switching between two products, and really, it's the cheaper product in the pink bottle with the green wand that I favour.
Love your blog,
Lashfull in Winnipeg

Elisa said...

Dear Lashfull,
The famous pink and green tube is one that I keep in my makeup kit for close-up photography. I find that it does a good job of darkening and defining the lashes and looks very natural. The problem is, most of us just don't have those lush and full lashes that the teenaged models do. I know I need all the help I can get! If Great Lash is what works for you, your lashes are probably great to start with, you lucky lash-full lady ;)