Sunday, March 15, 2009

Spring Fever (well, eventually, I hope!)

So here I am sitting in Montreal, this morning's temperature was -2 degrees Celsius and we still have some snow on the ground. It's hard to believe spring is just around the corner the way those last weeks of winter seem to really drag on. I used to do a lot of work for fashion magazines, shoots were sometimes done at their offices, and one of the things I loved best about being there was losing myself in the racks of clothing, getting a great preview of the upcoming season's fashions. It was particularly uplifting to go there in the dead of winter, all the spring and summer clothing would be on display, their lively colours and flouncy fabrics as a reminder (and as proof) that the warm weather was on it's way. Since taking a break from working in the fashion industry, I have no access to rooms full of pretty clothes to lift my spirits, and the spring merchandise has yet to really arrive here in Montreal.

So how have I coped this year with the seemingly never-ending Canadian winter? Well, aside from lots of exercise, I invested in one of those light therapy boxes and upped my intake of vitamins, particularly b-complex and omega 3. Most of all though, my favourite winter pick-me-up is devouring the spring issue of every FASHION MAGAZINE I can get my hands on. Usually with a nice cup of tea and some dark chocolate, while the baby sleeps.

I always enjoy seeing the spring/summer collections, even if I don't like the clothes the colours and textures are always so gorgeous and cheery. The makeup collections also provide some inspiration, and I find myself going through all my magazines and making lists of things to try out. Rather than wishing away the icy patches on my front steps, I'm am almost grateful to have a little more time to prepare for and anticipate the warm days. Nah, not really.

Happy Spring!

No comments: