Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Stressroller: Rolling away my stress and loving it!

I love reading about how celebrities stay fit and feeling great. A while I back I happened upon a fitness magazine article in which 38 year-old mother of two Denise Richards mentions some of her favourite products. One of the items listed was the Stressroller, and I was immediately interested because a)I have stress! and b)stress is aging! and c)Denise Richards looks great, I knew this was worth investigating.

The Stressroller was invented by chiropractor-to-the-stars Dr. Stephen V. Jochen, and it's basically two balls (tennis ball size) enclosed in a cushiony, sturdy fabric that you place between your body and a hard surface (like a wall or floor) and roll yourself against to massage your muscles. I received mine about a month ago, and have been using it religiously ever since. There are several different body parts you can use it on, but I am finding it's doing absolute wonders for my back. According to the website (www.stressroller.com), tension and pain in the mid-back and neck can result in poor posture. We all know poor posture is very aging.

Here's a direct quote from the site on how it works:

"The pressure applied by StressRoller™ moves energy within the muscles, re-aligning the spine, increasing circulation and restoring the body to its natural state of balance and well-being."

It certainly feels really, really good and I will continue to use it as part of my fitness/wellness/anti-aging routine. I also find it excellent at alleviating headache pain, and I'm even getting a better sleep at night. This concept isn't new, however. For years I have heard about putting a couple of tennis balls in a sock and using in the same fashion, which I have not tried. What I do like about the Stressroller is that it's well made and the balls don't move. It's also much nicer looking than a do-it-yourselfer and has a little carrying bag with all instructions for use printed on little plastic discs that are attached with a keyring. Very convenient and very reasonably priced at $19.95.

http://www.stressroller.com

UPDATE: On April 29, 2009, The Stressroller was featured on Rachel Ray's 'Human Lab' series, you can check out the story here:

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/show/segments/view/human-lab-back-pain/

2 comments:

Satori said...

Hi!
Are you still using StressRoller? I just discovered this product online today, and I wonder if it's still as good for you today as it was when you first posted this review?

Elisa said...

Hello,
Thanks for your question! I do still love the StressRoller and use it on a regular basis. It's a great product. I find it particularly good for relieving tension between the shoulder blades. Let me know how you end up liking it if you purchase it, and thanks again for writing.

Elisa